Re: Retractable air hose reels

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Retractable air hose reels
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:13:36 -0400
Phil Ethier wrote:
> 25' is too short for me unless I suspend it from the ceiling in the middle
> of the shop.  Which might be a good idea anyway, now that I think about it.

   I my case at least, you get a little more than the length of the reel.

   I have my reel mounted on the wall about 7 feet off the ground, and I
have a 5 foot whip hose on the end to make it easy to grab, and it just
hangs down the wall nicely. However, when extended, I also get to use
that 5 foot length.

   The other nice reason for having the whip hose attached is that it's
faster to retract. I don't like to let it go and have it violently snap
back into the reel knocking things off desks on the way, so I usually
walk it back to the reel. With the whip hose, once I am about 5 feet
from the wall it bottoms out, and I just let the whip go which falls
nice and slow. This worked out better than having to guide the hose end
right into the mouth of the reel every time.

   Although you may want to temper that with the fact that you might not
want to always pull the reel out to the end, it might not last.

   My "work bay" in the garage is 27 feet deep, with the reel at the
front, and I can reach every part of a car parked in that pay. I also
have a splitter and a hose hung along the wall down the side to the
back, so the back of the car is right near a quick connect. I also use
this outlet when I go out into the driveway to pump tires or something.
I hang a spring coily cord at the door for this purpose.

   So that's my whole air "system", very cheap but effective.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca