Re: Which cordless drill? (was RE: Cordless drill clutches)

To: ken.landaiche@nokia.com, dmitchel@ford.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Which cordless drill? (was RE: Cordless drill clutches)
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:35:24 -0500
>My drill uses 14.4V batteries, one of which just died :) So with the cost of
clutch and battery, it's looking like time to upgrade to 18V.

>So now I wonder, which drill to get? I see lots of contractors with dewalt
gear.

I don't know that much about drill motors.  My rechargeable is a B & D VersaPack
3/8" which has been very good to me in my light-duty occasional use.  I don't
know that it would take well to abuse.

About DeWalt:  I have a DeWalt 1/4-sheet corded palm sander out of which I have
beat the proverbial stuffings for years.  I have run it virtually continuously
for hours, leaned on it with my full weight while running 50-grit on fiberglass,
run it until it was so hot I could hardly hold on to it, and even dropped it
a couple of times.  It runs as well as the day I bought it, with no maintenance
of any kind, just more general abuse.  It has the little bag on it to collect
dust, and the paper-punch plate to make the little holes in the sandpaper to
pull the dust through.  I usually take the bag off and use the accessory
connector
to a shop-vac.  This little sander may represent the best fifty bucks I have
ever spent on a power tool.  The bright yellow color is good for me too, since
I tend to lose things...

If DeWalt drill motors are built as well as this little sander, you are unlikely
to have trouble.

Phil Ethier