RE: Impact Wrenches

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Impact Wrenches
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:30:01 -0700
> OK, I need an impact wrench that can do serious damage. (and quick)
>
> A quick search of Harbor Freight's site gives me quite a choice...
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/  (search on "impact wrench")
>
> My question is that one of the guns, boast "450 lbs of torque" (item
> 2065-6vga)  But only costs $69.99.
>
> The rest of the guns in that range cost over $100.
>
> Is this rating another one of our statistics to be corrupted by marketing
> hype?  Or am I to believe that Central Pneumatics has found a cheaper way
> to manufacture an impact gun?

Inch, I have what may be a similar gun (although I got it from JCW many
years ago).  It also was priced almost as cheap as the cheapest unit they
had, and boasted 450 ft lb of torque.  Do I think it really puts out 450 ?
No.  But it does put out substantially more than the run of the mill lug nut
spinner.  I got it for the specific purpose of doing the lug nuts on my
motorhome, which otherwise took a 6' cheater bar, and it would do them
(barely).  One of the first things I did when I got it was to (deliberately)
twist off a 7/16" lug ...

BTW, the HD gun is likely a Campbell Hausfeld, which IMO is no better than
Central Pneumatic, may even be made by the same slave labor in outer
Junkistan.

As someone already mentioned, air pressure at the gun is definitely an
issue.  It needs a bigger hose than just the consumption would indicate,
because of the intermittent air flow.

Randall