Re: Impact Wrenches

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Impact Wrenches
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:42:27 -0400
Richard's points are good ones. In my situation, I mostly work on
antique and old farm tractors, whose large fasteners have usually not
been loosened since they were installed at the factory 50+ years ago. So
I need the larger size impact sockets that usually come only in 3/4"
size (and attempts at using 1/2" to 3/4" adapters have not been
successful). Given the choice, the IR 2131 is probably one of the best
investments in air tools that you can make and the best choice if you
never need to remove fasteners larger than SAE 1-1/8".

I will argue, however, that in terms of hose diameter "bigger is
better". You will definitely get better performance out of all but the
smallest air tools if you can see your way clear to buy 1/2" instead of
3/8" hose, especially if you have to go more than about 25' from your
compressor. I have two reels - one 1/2" that is attached to my big
compressor for working with impact wrenches, needle scalers, etc., and
the 3/8" hose is attached to the smaller compressor for adding air to
tires, blowing chips, etc. The reason for this "overkill" dual setup is
this: I had the smaller setup first and found it to be inadequate for
big jobs and acquired the used service station compressor for free. But
handling the smaller hose is much easier for quickly bringing tires up
to pressure, and the big compressor is much noisier and more expensive
to run.

Mike

Richard George wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I got one of these 3/4" impact wrenches a while back - what a pain - I found
>that
> I had to go to large ID fittings and even then it barely gives you more
>torque than
> "lord vader" (IR2131) on a hose of "normal" diameter (It was pretty impressive
> on a chunk of "big" hose with mondo fittings though...)
>
> - If you really want a cheap 3/4" I'll be glad to sell you mine cheap -
>almost no run time and
> nice sears blow molded case - after I got the 2131 I haven't used it....
>(seriously!)
>
> You might do better with a 3/4" if you buy one by a good manufacturer (IR,
>etc.,) - these
> seem to require much less air than the ones crafted with pride by chinese
>prisoners...
>
> Good Luck,
>
> rkg
> (Richard George)

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of
fools. Let's start with typewriters and computers."
Solomon Short