ready to remove security system with small explosives...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: ready to remove security system with small explosives...
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 22:50:04 -0500 (EST)
the saga continues...

the new house has a security system installed.  magnet switches in every
door, etc.  it made a *really* loud, annoying squawk whenever a door was
opened.  it's a 'first alert' brand system (according to the case and
number pad).  no one locally claimed to service these things, and we're
not getting the service, so I opened up the case in the closet and
unplugged it from the power source, unscrewed the speaker making the
squawk and unplugged the telco-like plug from the jack (it's the same kind
of plug used in offices to connect multi-line phone and computers--a
little wider than a regular residential plug).

now the house phones don't work.  no dial tone.

so I go back to the 'telephone network interface' box (gray box on
the side of the house where the telco service meets the house line), pop
it open and plug into it.  dial tone.  there are two lines in the box--we
have one phone line.  one line has a dial tone in the box, one doesn't.
I'm *guessing* that the second (dead) line is a dry pair to the alarm
company (now out of business as far as I can tell...).

so...what to do?  I have no idea how I might've screwed up the phone
system by unplugging the alarm system.  maybe the alarm has a phone *and*
dry pair backup?  either way, I put it all back together like I found it
and still no dial tone.

please tell me somebody here has a basic concept of how these alarm
systems work and/or any troubleshooting tips I might try to get phone
service back over christmas.

thanks.

scott