RE: ready to remove security system with small explosives...

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: RE: ready to remove security system with small explosives...
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 20:51:46 -0800
> so I go back to the 'telephone network interface' box (gray box on
> the side of the house where the telco service meets the house line), pop
> it open and plug into it.  dial tone.  there are two lines in the box--we
> have one phone line.  one line has a dial tone in the box, one doesn't.
> I'm *guessing* that the second (dead) line is a dry pair to the alarm
> company (now out of business as far as I can tell...).

That's possible, but it's very common for the phone company to install a dry
pair to your house (the cable has two pairs, the terminal block has 4
terminals, might's well use them).  And all the alarm systems I'm familiar
with just piggy-back onto your local phone service, rather than go to all
the expense of a dedicated line.

> so...what to do?  I have no idea how I might've screwed up the phone
> system by unplugging the alarm system.  maybe the alarm has a phone *and*
> dry pair backup?  either way, I put it all back together like I found it
> and still no dial tone.

I think I'd be looking for where the phone-like cord to the alarm system
came from.  Just a WAG mind you, but I suspect your phone line runs through
the alarm system (so it can take over the phones when it wants to call
home), and the system is now pissed off and won't remake the connection.  If
you can find the box where that RJ-45 came from, I think you can figure out
which wires to jumper to make the house phones work.

> please tell me somebody here has a basic concept of how these alarm
> systems work and/or any troubleshooting tips I might try to get phone
> service back over christmas.

Well, if the above doesn't work, you could always get a couple of 100'
extensions, and plug them into the box on the side of the house ... <g>

Randall