Re: ready to remove security system with small explosives...

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: ready to remove security system with small explosives...
From: Andy Poling <andy@realbig.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:41:46 -0500 (EST)
Disclaimer: I'm not a telephone expert.  I've played with phone lines a bit
over the years, but that's the extent of my "expertise".

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Scott Hall wrote:
[...]
> and unplugged the telco-like plug from the jack (it's the same kind
> of plug used in offices to connect multi-line phone and computers--a
> little wider than a regular residential plug).
>
> now the house phones don't work.  no dial tone.

Sometimes the alarm system is set up so that it can "sieze" the line.  This is
so that it can dial the monitoring company (usually dedicated copper is too
expensive) without interferance from within the house.

One way to enable the alarm to sieze the line is to feed the line to the house
_through_ the alarm system.  That way, it can cut off the rest of the house
when it wants/needs to call the monitoring company.

I'm guessing that's your situation.  If you open the phone jack in the alarm
box, you'll probably find that there is one pair coming in from the
"demarcation point" - the grey box outside, and one pair going out to the rest
of the house.  The alarm connects the two together when everything is normal,
and you have dial tone in the house.

I'm guessing that if you connect the two lines you found in the jack together
you'll then have dial tone in the house.

Good luck.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky              91 Miata - Steve               84 RZ350 - Sting