Re: broken ice maker in shop's fridge

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: broken ice maker in shop's fridge
From: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:57:09 -0800
Scott;
It's been a while but the GE icemakers I worked on had a couple common
problems.
Does yours make orange slice shaped ice or little barrels?
If it makes orange slice shaped ice then the mold heater is not
energizing. Heater or switch is the fault.
If it makes barrel shaped ice, replace it.  Those things were a pain,
the seals at the bottom of the barrel leak causing the ice to stick in
the mold.
The fill valve or fill tube is probably gunked up with mineral
deposits.  What's your water supply like?
The fill valve is on a timer circuit so there is a restrictor to reduce
flow so it can be controlled over a wide range of water supply
pressures.
GE used to have a pretty good manual you could get that covered their
ice makers.  I don't know if it's still available.  Gave mine away long
ago to a guy in the business.
And you're darn right a shop should have a functioning ice maker.  Even
if it's jet powered.  You all remember the jet powered beer cooler,
doncha?  http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/