Re: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:55:25 -0500
Phil Ethier wrote:

> Hot air rises.  Why is that thing in the ceiling?
>
> Not what we generally see here in Minnesota, where such
> vents are usually near the floor.

Phil, this obviously isn't new house construction, and a great many of the
older houses in this area (South Eastern PA) do not have basements.  As I
said this is a 50 year old home, so the only viable way of installing a
forced air system is to utilize the attic spaces and crawl spaces that run
along the roof lines.  Unfortunately, tunneling under the foundation is not
an option either ;-)

Originally these homes had radiant heat, with the metal tubes placed right
in the concrete foundation.  Seems in the 1970s many of these installations
failed and many of the homes switched to baseboard heat.  The baseboard in
my home has never given an even temperature across the house, and there
obviously is no option for air conditioning using the same pathways.
Coupled with the fact that the oil burning heater is located in the kitchen
in this model home, I decided last year to switch to forced air and have the
new unit relocated to its own room (as current code dictates).

After I'm finished school (just a couple of more years), I'll be renting the
house out, so much of the upgrades I'm undertaking now are for comfort,
usability and also for relatively maintenance-free piece of mind.

Kai