Re: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)
From: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:34:26 -0800
Kai M. Radicke wrote:
 > Phil Ethier wrote:
 >>Hot air rises.  Why is that thing in the ceiling?
 >>Not what we generally see here in Minnesota, where such
 >>vents are usually near the floor.

Regional differences are interesting for sure.  In California, the
ceiling register is normal because cooling is needed more than heat.
Roof mounted packaged heating/air-conditioning units are quite common
also.  Suggest a rooftop installation to folks around here (Washington
State) and they look at me like I've got two heads.

 > Originally these homes had radiant heat, with the metal tubes placed
right
 > in the concrete foundation.  Seems in the 1970s many of these
installations
 > failed
Gotta love those installations you can't repair.

  > Matt, this pic should clear it up:
Got it.  That is definitely one odd way to do it.

  > Thanks for the confirmation, every forced air installation I've seen
  > in friends' and relatives' homes, has been the way you described.
  > Blowing along the axis parallel to the wall also makes the most sense
  > to me forpractical reasons, as you mentioned, such as draftiness.
  > There are two 6X10 outlets on that wall, about 10 feet apart from each
  > other.  The crawl space directly above that area is rather small, so I
  > wasn't too concerned with how far out from the wall they installed the
  > registers, as the rafters and insulation cut down the work area in the
  > crawl space considerably.
That's a common problem in retrofits.

  > Well there are a few things on my list at the moment to ask about.
  > Also, a few of the registers are crooked, which really bothers me... I
  > have a severe dislike for things that
  > aren't at near-perfect right angles.
Crooked and mis-aligned duct boots or registers is just down right
unacceptable.

  > The HVAC contractor will be back tomorrow, so he will be quizzed about
  > the work he has done so far.  Thanks for the info Matt, I needed
  > another opinion about how I thought it should be done.
Don't let him snow you.  Make sure he gets it right.

Matt