Re: need press-off switch

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: need press-off switch
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:48:11 -0400
On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 03:26:00PM -0400, Scott Hall wrote:

> y'all,
>
> I'm trying to right the lights in our pantry to come on when the door
> opens and off when it shuts, just like a refrigerator.  I'd like to mount
> the switch in the jamb.

Try this door switch:

http://www.meci.com/default.asp?mode=getitems&category=226

Rated at 12amps at 125VAC.  $0.99

Failing that, you can build your own from a automobile interior light
switch and a relay.  You should be able to find one at your local auto
parts store.  For the relay, you don't need anything fancy, just make sure
you get one with a coil rated for mains voltage or else you'll need to
add a step-down transformer.

Something like this switch:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=700050&item=PSW-8&type=store

Any electronics shop will have the necessary relays.  All Electronics has
a few to choose from for around $1.  Other places to look include mouser.com,
digikey.com and hosfelt.com.  Of course, your local Ratshack will have them too.

Jimmie