Re: extension cord winder

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: extension cord winder
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:11:11 -0700
> I've got the hand winder and it's great for quick out of the shop
> use...
> but for the shop I've got a 30' retractable reel type cord mounted in
> the
> center of the shop on the ceiling..  will pull to every corner of the
> 25x25
> building and even out the front door for saw/grinder work there.  I
> mounted
> a base plug in the ceiling next to the reel and  also have a reel type
> retractable drop light right next to it...    convenient and out of
> the way
> till needed....   just another option

I have these, also. I also modified a step-stool/ toolbox as follows.
This box is basically a toolbox on short legs, plastic, that has a
latchable lid with a carrying handle that folds flush. Inside, there is
a lift-out tool tray, and storage below. I keep a 50-foot extension
cord inside, which is permanently* wired to two outlets I mounted low
in the front of the box. One outlet has a GFI function.I cut a small
notch just under the lid, so I can deploy the cord and close the lid.
This thing is very handy for projects around the house, especially with
a few basic tools always stored in the tool tray.

The cheapie version is to mount the outlets in the side of a plastic
bucket, and carry the cord inside.

* Alternately, permanently wire a one-foot-long pigtail to the outlets,
and plug this into the extension cord of your choosing.

- Bill Rabel
   Wet Spot Garage
   "I Park in the Wet Spot"