Re: VolksAir

To: "Scott Hall" <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VolksAir
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:38:48 -0500
> so I'm curious--is this a "just because I had an old vw engine", a
> "because it's different", "because it's cheap" (hard to see that one...),
> or is it actually a better air compressor?
>
> scott

Because I was spoiled by working in a restoration shop that had a HUGE air
compressor and it made quick work of anything that was put into the media
blast cabinet.  I do not know the horsepower rating of that compressor, but
it was on its own 60 amp 240V circuit and the tank was at least 120 gallons.
I could blast away for twenty minutes before the compressor would kick back
on to provide more air, and then it would only run for about 5 minutes
before it would kick off again.  The nozzle on the blast gun was very large
as well.

Then I worked at a smaller restoration shop that had a "7HP" Craftsman
compressor with a 60 gal tank.  Media blasting was a very slow process, and
anything large (wheels and anything larger) were outsourced to the
commercial sand-blasting outfit down the street.

I have a relatively small home shop, so space is a consideration and a
compressor with an 80 gal tank has a large footprint and takes up
considerable space.  With this VolksAir unit, I am not concerned about space
limitations, since I can keep it outside... which also means the noise of
the compressor is outside.

As Bill mentioned, moisture in the air is probably going to be a concern,
but HF and others sell those moisture filter and regulator units relatively
inexpensively.

Here is some more info as I just spoke with the guy at Dunn-Right about his
kit.  Standard kit is a little more than $300 to convert the VW engine into
a compressor.  You get 58CFM @ 100PSI... he says that many of his clients
use these compressors for mobil sand blasting rigs, they mount the engine
right to a small towable trailer.  If someone is trying to do the math on
how they got two cylinders of a Beetle to pump out 58CFM, it is because the
new cam has two lift points each separated by 180 degrees... effectively
making the compressor bank of cylinders a 2 stroke setup.

I like the mobility of the setup, a friend is restoring a Healey 100-4, so
the option of throwing this compressor into my pickup and going over to his
shop would be nice.  Because he too has a crappy Craftsman compressor.

DunnRight is sending me their literature packet on the compressor.  I will
post more info when I get it, as it seems I have piqued some interest from
people who have replied to me privately.

Kai