Re: VolksAir

To: "Eric Murray" <ericm@lne.com>, "Patton Dickson"
Subject: Re: VolksAir
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:08:45 -0500
> How much does a big air tank cost?

What do you need the air tank for?  If you have 58 SCFM (or CFM, I have not
found anything to clarify on this for this setup) on demand, why on earth do
you need an air tank?  The compressor is going to run the same amount of
time whether you have the tank or not, since your air usage requirements
will still be the same.  But if you really want a big air tank, I have seen
60 gallon tanks for $250ish.

> How long does it take to change a cam on a VW engine?
> What other mods are required?  How long do they take?

I starter relay circuit for the VW motor with a pressure switch will
probably be necessary, again, something I do not consider to be very costly
in terms of money or time.

> What's your time worth?

Which is why I do not like spending lots of time looming over a blast
cabinet because the compressor on the other end does not have the capacity
to meet my needs.  For large items, the time saved from having an adequately
sized compressor is very sizable indeed.  So if you think in terms of future
use, this VolksAir project may be very worthwhile for a weekend's time spent
setting it up and making it work for your needs.

Besides, at least you'll know the compressor motor is never going to have
parts that are unavailable.  You can buy 1600 beetle mains for $9.95 a
set... piston rings are just as cheap.  New cams are $59/each.  This is one
of the cheapest and easiest motors to work on.

> Me, I have way more hobbies than I have time.

Agreed.  But while I like my vintage British cars, I'm also a VW lover ('03
and '97 Jettas), so this sort of appeals to me on that level as well.

If I see that this thing has serious shortcomings when I read the literature
and look at the photos, I'll dismiss it.  But since I have read some good
write-ups of this VolksAir on various UseNet groups (just do a Google search
under Groups) I am considering it quite a bit.

I am not in a rush to get an air supply either, but this is definitely going
to be one of this year's winter projects.

We'll see...

Kai