Re: Voice Over IP Phone Services

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Voice Over IP Phone Services
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:10:49 -0600
> > And none of the "It works pretty well" that people seem to be saying
about
> > VOIP.  It's a real phone, with all the bells and whistles, at a
competitive
> > price.
>
> Bells and whistles describes my POTS service from SBC perfectly, except
you left
> out hearing the neighbor's conversations when it rains.

No doubt we've had LOTS of problems in the past, and I'm sure not pimping
for SBC.  I've hated them for years and craved the day I could switch to
ANYBODY else.  Only a couple of years ago they replaced a 900' length of
1927 (!!) cable that originated at a pole in our neighbor's yard -- who in
the heck would try to squeeze a penny harder than that??  And we used to
have lots of static when squirrels chewed through wire insulation at various
spots a couple of times a year.

But not for a couple of years - they (finally) upgraded the system here
preparatory to bringing in DSL in January, 2003.  They've really cleaned up
the system here, and the personnel you talk to when you call in aren't the
cretins they used to be.  It's just not the same crappy old company.

My point is that competition seems to be working on them here at least, and
they're (for me) finally a good choice and a good deal.

Karl

Or maybe it's the Prozac...