RE: Voice Over IP Phone Services

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Voice Over IP Phone Services
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 06:39:27 -0500
I have just completed the process of changing over (and transferring my
phone number)to Vonage.  Not a particularly smooth process as much
information is missing on their website.  For example, It takes up to 20
days to transfer your current phone # and they provide you with a virtual
number until that time, but since my old land line was still functional, the
virtual number was virtually useless.  I also signed up for a number in my
in-laws area code so they could call us with a local call.  Well, after a
few phone calls to tech support, I discovered that the other area code
virtual number would not forward to my land line.  It can only call another
Vonage number and since the only Vonage number on my end is the virtual
number (until the transfer takes place) and I don't have the virtual number
connected since it is an unknown number, well, I paid a whole month for the
feature that didn't work.  Now that my transfer has occurred (just last
week) it works fine.  Anyway their was really no information on their
website that made it clear, and it took me 2 phone calls to tech to get the
whole answer as to why the out of area code virtual number didn't work.  I
kinda got the impression that tech support personnel really don't know all
the answers yet.
Having said all that, I am happy with the service (well, really the $100/mo
savings over SBC).  Some echo and background hiss, but not objectionably so.
No dropped calls (yet) but has only been on for 2 days.
Oh, their 14 day money back guarantee long expired by the time I have really
gotten to use the service.
PM me for my phone number, or give me yours and I'll call you if you want.

Safety Fast!

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA
'67 MGBGT