RE: Voice Over IP Phone Services

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>,
Subject: RE: Voice Over IP Phone Services
From: "Jeff Cocking" <jeff@cocking.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:35:25 -0600
We have been using VOIP (Vonage) for the last 9 months.  The service has
been great and the cost savings is amazing.  My family is all local, so we
have limited need for the unlimited long distance, but I am still saving
money.  My cost for two lines is cheaper than SBC charged for one line.

I found out about it when I called a friend to see if he was in before I
dropped in to see him.  He told me he was in Paris, France.  He took his
modem device on a trip to Paris.  Stayed at a hotel with broadband access
and his Houston, TX number rang in Houston.  He was calling and receiving
calls just as if he was in Houston.

Problems I have seen:
1.  Every once in a while the modem will need to be rebooted.  I have had to
reboot it twice in the 9 months.
2.  We have had two local numbers that we could not dial.  Emailed tech
support and that was resolved in both cases in less than 2 hours.  They were
old Vonage numbers that had not been transferred.
3.  There are some devices/teleconference systems that have a hard time
recognizing the touch tones.  If you have a tivo, security system, voice
mail system check and see if it works first.
4.  My next door neighbor signed up for the service.  His wife now talks to
her sister for 3 hours a day.  Before they could only talk once a week due
to the cost.  Now with unlimited calls, they are on the phone all day.  Your
results may vary.

The great:
Find a current customer and have them give you a referral.  You get a month
free and the referral gets a month free.  Never heard the landline companies
giving free service. (Anyone who wants a referral can send me an email
offline and I will forward)

The virtual lines for receiving inbound calls from anywhere is amazing.

Go for it.  Get a virtual number and try it for a couple of weeks.  If it
does not work, stop it the service.  If it does, then start the transfer
process (mine to 30 days).

Nothing to loose and a lot to save.

Jeff

Jeff@cocking.com