Re: Shelving units

To: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>,
Subject: Re: Shelving units
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:05:38 -0500
At 05:46 AM 2/15/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>Were I to do it all over again today, I would get the free standing shelves
>like these:
>http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101933-1281-CR4824&lpage=none
>I have never had a problem with shelving units being too strong.  You can
>buy a lighter weight much cheaper version at Walmart.  These units go
>together quickly and easily, and are just as easily adjusted.  They are
>quite rigid and stable.

Sam's Club has a similar model for about $62, called "Gorilla Rack".  I was
pleased with
the one I bought:  It is very sturdy and the metal pieces have a nice
hammered-look
powder-coat finish, and no sharp edges.

>I would not ever again buy this:
>http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=200449-1281-HDL301260&lpage=none
>As flimsy as they used to be, they are tissue paper thin today, and collapse
>under the weight of a single book.  These things take forever to assemble,
>are effectively non-adjustable, and wobble.

Out of a sense of nostalgia, and because I needed a small shelf only 12" deep
to fit behind
the furnace, I got one of these.  Definitely pretty tinny, but at least I got
it not to
wobble by not tightening the bolts until it was in its final resting place...

Doug Braun