Re: HF Dual MIG Welder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HF Dual MIG Welder
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:11:30 -0800
Jim,

I was at your stage a while ago.  I've learned a bit about what a MIG
can and cannot do.
First of all, the HF unit doesn't appear to have the gear you'll need to
gas weld (regulator, etc.).
I haven't seen a kit for these.  Lincoln, Hobart and Miller have
optional kits for their small MIG
units, and are probably better supported overall.  I'd spend the extra
$100 or so for one of these,
with the more current settings the better (I have a WeldPak 100 -
120V).  I'd be afraid the
cheaper units might not feed the wire smoothly ... which will make it
impossible to get smooth,
consistent beads.

MIG is tricky with sheet metal (the author of "Welder's Handbook" calls
it a "manure spreader").
If you get the power and feed right, you'll run a nice bead for a
half-inch or so then burn through or
make a pile.  The weld is very hard--made for modern, thin and strong
automotive sheet metal--
and hard to grind.

You probably won't be able to do anything under 18 gauge without using
gas and 0.023" or 0.025"
wire.  The thin wire works OK, but I bought some "TwenytGauge"--actually
0.030" wire with
a soft metal core--which is supposed to give a flatter weld; I'm going
to try it tomorrow.

My father and I have both tried to use the MIG for sheet metal up to
1/8," with mixed results.
Sometimes it works great, then you'll get the arc slightly off and make
a pile.   You have to have
the power and wire feeds exactly right, and watch the arc closely ...
you'll need a good, automatic
welder's helmet.  The arc-powered helmets work good and don't need
batteries, but the
battery-powered ones have a couple extra features (like a delay timer
that keeps the lens dark
for a second or two after the arc stops).  HF has an automatic helmet
that has good specs for
about $50.

MIG is fun and frustrating, but I'd spend the extra $100 or so to get a
"name" brand, for
support and parts availability if nothing else.

BTW, I've made a website documenting some of the work my father, son and
I are doing:

http://home.comcast.net/~bspidell

bs