RE: HF Dual MIG Welder

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HF Dual MIG Welder
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:17:33 -0800
At 09:57 AM 3/26/2006 -0800, Randall wrote:
> > I where bifocals.  When I started mig welding I'd keep my glasses on.  But
> > I couldn't really see, I was looking through the top (far) part of the
> > glasses.
>
>I guess I'm missing something ... why not just wear a pair of reading
>glasses in
>your prescription ?  I've not done any welding since I started needing
>bifocals,
>but I've got reading glasses scattered all over the garage because I hate
>wearing bifocals while I'm trying to work.  The local .99 store has them ...
>plus I have "reading" safety goggles for grinding and metal work.

I'm in the same boat as John.  I have some astigmatism and I'm "moderately"
(around 20/350) nearsighted.  I wear line-less bifocals most of the time
but have a regular pair of bifocal safety glasses I wear in the
shop.  Welding has been a challenge; I have a 2x magnifier I put in the
helmet but nothing ever seems to be in the right place.  What seems to work
best right now is a non-automatic "widescreen" type helmet (extra large
window) with the magnifier taped in the right place.  One of these days I'm
going to the welding shop with my bifocals and see if the guys there can
help me fine tune the system.

I got an automatic helmet from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago when
they first started selling them in the $49 price range.  At first it was
really cool, but I find the variable adjustment doesn't work very well and
the built in solar battery is often dead.  I hardly ever use it any more.

Dave C