Re: HF Dual MIG Welder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HF Dual MIG Welder
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:31:45 -0500
One point I haven't seen discussed here is seeing.  I agree with Bob about
the auto darkening helmet.  But, do you where glasses?  Bifocals?

I where bifocals.  When I started mig welding I'd keep my glasses on.  But
I couldn't really see, I was looking through the top (far) part of the
glasses.  One day I got smart and took my glasses off.  That helped but I
still had a lot of trouble seeing.

Then I took a class at my local Community college $150/semister.  While there
the instructor told me to get a x2 magifier to put in my helmet.  That helped
a lot.  I'd gotten used to not wearing my glasses.  Then one day in class,
I'd steped out of my booth and put my glasses on.  I went over to help a
friend with something they were doing.  I dropped my helmet (with my glasses
on) and man I could finally see.  That made a big difference in my welds.

Some of the cheaper auto darkening helmets use lenses that are bigger than
usual and won't support the magnafiers.  So check around.  I have a battery
powered autodarkening insert for a regular helmet.  I paid about $100 about
8 years ago.  Since then, I haven't seem them as the arc powerd helmets have
become the rage.  But talk to your local welding supply house, they may
be able to get you one.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic