Re: OT: Digging dog

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT: Digging dog
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 07:43:27 +0100
At 02:31 08/05/06, you wrote:

>My new dog is a frequent flyer.  She discovered that she can dig under the
>fence and go visit people and dogs in the neighborhood.

Bill,

When we have to rabbit proof planted areas we use chicken mesh to
extend the boundary fence down into the ground about a foot. If the
ground is too rough to dig a trench an alternative is to lay the mesh
flat on the ground like the bottom of a letter L and then weight it
down with stones. In time vegetation grows through the mesh and helps
secure it more. As long as the mesh is continuously secured to the
bottom of the fence it keeps animals out. Luckily they don't take the
time to assess the problem but go for what looks to them to be the
easiest way in at the bottom of the fence. And finish up trying to
dig through mesh. Might work for dogs getting out as well as rabbits
getting in.

If the hot wire method others have suggested doesn't work I'd try 3
foot mesh. That way you can fix a foot to the fence and lay two feet
on the ground. Turf or trailing plants would screen it fairly quickly.

Nick