RE: RE: OT: Digging dog

Subject: RE: RE: OT: Digging dog
From: "Mullen, Tim (IT Solutions)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:04:53 -0400
From: wolfeb@verizon.net [mailto:wolfeb@verizon.net] wrote:

> Or, as a friend of mine found out, the dog will get a running
> start at the fence and let out a yelp on the way out.

The cure for this is to crank up the setting.  Then they get the shock
sooner and/or longer.  When we first set up the wire, the poor dog
couldn't go with in about 15 feet of the fence.  That was a problem,
because he couldn't go in and out through the doggy door that was too
close to the side of the house (and fence).  After a while, the setting
was cranked down, but the dog still stayed away from the fence.

It's definitely not the cure for all dogs, but it worked for my son's
Siberian husky...

Then there's the little super hyper Jack Russell Terrier down the street
from us.  It desperately wants to get out of the side yard where there
is no fence, but it absolutely will not go past the end of their fence
(it's only on the side, the front is open but the invisible fence is
there).  It's kind of funny, because this dog barks its head off, and
runs back and forth like it's behind a solid wall, but it's wide open...
:)

Tim Mullen