Re: Auto Scanners

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto Scanners
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:02:45 -0400
At 04:23 PM 7/28/2006 -0400, you wrote:

>What's a good scan tool for automobiles?   The current pressing need is for
>an OBD II car ('01 Subaru Outback), but I also have a '91 Nissan 240SX and
>a '91 Vette (computer at least, the engine is in an El Camino)

Tim,

If you are a typical hobbiest, then something like the Actron Pocket scanner
is fantastic!!!  This is what I have.  Advanced Auto made a mistake in the
pricing when they were put on sale about 6 mo ago, and I snaped it up.  And
I don't have an ODBII car, but I couldn't pass it up for the price.  It
normally sells for about $80.  It will read and reset the codes.

Another point is that if you have an Advanced Auto or AutoZone near you,
they will lend you their reader to read your codes.

Again for most things, these scanners are all you need.  However, there are
lots of companies that make interfaces and the software to connect a lap top
to the car.  These are great for hard to find problems, and reading various
things "Real Time".  They give a lot more info.  I've always like the unit
that Autotap sells:   http://autotap.com/

These laptop units are typically $300 to $600.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan