Re: 4 light hi-beams

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 light hi-beams
From: Battmain <battmain@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:42:13 -0400
There are multiple ways of doing this. The three that I've seen are
using a relay like you posted. Rerouting some ground wiring to the
lights, and completely replacing the wire harness using lower guage
wire and connectors. (most expensive)
Some references are www.fullsizechevy.com (think it is in one of the
stickies, if not you should be able to search for it.)
Kennedy Diesel sells the replacement harness. I think one of the
issues was that the headlight switch was not able to handle the
amperage of all four, but there was the argument that the amperage was
only temporary. The Kennedy harness removes that problem as the switch
is acting as a switch and the major amperage goes through the relays.
FWIW, the headlight switch on my stock gmc truck gets really hot to
the touch when traveling at night on low beams. Even hotter if I dim
the dash lights, so I don't bother doing that anymore. :-/

Brian
battmain@gmail.com