RE: 4 light hi-beams

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 4 light hi-beams
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:18:14 -0700
> er, WHAT fuses??
>
> I KNOW Wife's Malibu Maxx doesn't have any.  And I have never
> seen American
> cars "fused".  The "fuse" IS the AWG or MIL of wire.

Most (perhaps not all) American cars have a circuit breaker built into the
headlight switch.  At least so all of my shop manuals have said, I've never
tested one.  I even found a safety recall on a 87 Pontiac Bonny, for
overheating headlight circuit breaker.
http://www.autoweb.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/id/13171;TAWEB/Action/R
ecallsView/seriesid/10980

But as I see it, the problem is not burning up the wire, but rather how much
voltage you can get to the bulb that counts.  Even a 1 volt drop will cause
significantly less light.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Randall