RE: bench top

To: "'old dirtbeard'" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: bench top
From: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:02:26 -0500
For the uses you're describing, I'd make the top of a double layer of 3/4"
plywood and then cover that with 1/4" tempered hardboard. I'd also put a
trim strip about 3/4" thick 1 3/4"  wide hardwood (oak would be good) around
that to protect the edges. The edging should be flush with the top of the
1/4" hardboard. This combination would provide a nice, flat surface that
would hold up well to the abuse it is likely to see. Once the hardboard got
really beat up and oil soaked, it would be an easy matter to replace without
the need to rebuild the bench. I'd polyurethane the oak trim and leave the
hardboard as is. A strong sub-frame of 2x4s would be able to support
motorcycle engines, trannies, etc. Be sure the wall cleats that hold the top
are screwed into studs.

Cheap, easy and very serviceable.

Charley Robinson