RE: bench top

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bench top
From: "Kent Sullivan" <kentsu@corvairkid.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:52:43 -0800
Hi,

My slight variation on this is to use angle iron on the edges. You can find
it in thicknesses to match the Masonite. Works really, really well--both to
keep the edge from getting mashed but also to provide a narrow ledge when
you really need to smack something hard. :-) Mitered the corners so that it
fits nicely.

And, as others have said, screw the hardboard down, don't glue it.

--Kent

P.S. I also use angle iron vertically where there are outside wall corners
in the drywall. Really cuts down on the "ah, crap" episodes when you bash
the corner of the wall with a rolling tool or materials. I also used it
horizontally on the outside floor edge/lip of the loft area above the
bathroom. I store parts up there so it again protects the drywall from
getting mashed.