Re: removing god-awful deodorizer smell?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: removing god-awful deodorizer smell?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 04:29:58 +0000
I'll try this, I guess.

and I'd take it back to the dealer, but they're ~1000 miles away.  they swore
it was mint when I bought it, and I really didn't notice it when I picked it
up.  didn't really notice it bad until I smelled my clothes this weekend and it
was still there.  as well, I bought my wife a car the previous weekend, and it
had a 'cleaner' smell that dissipated in a day or two.  mine's getting worse.
carfax doesn't report it as a flood car, so we'd be talking about smoking.

the smell--I kid you not--is the same as my brother's '93 mr2, which makes me
assume it's a cleaning product.  it's not a 'pine tree'-type thing, it's this
awful cloying stank.  I always assumed his was either a) armor-all (or
similar), or some combination of his <ahem> association with his buddy herb and
the resultant efforts to conceal it (some kind of air freshener).  he says he
doesn't remember what he used in his car way back when.  it's a kinda
combination patchouli and vinyl dressing.  it sticks to your clothes and hair.
I'm not a big smell person, so I'd like it gone.  I thought about heading to
advance and smelling the various cleaners, but that won't tell me how to get
them out of the car.  my theory now is that they're trying to mask evidence of
smoking, which angers me, but I don't think they're taking it back, and I'll
give it the ol' college try to get rid of it first--it took a long time to find
the car.

(if you didn't get the above reference, don't feel bad, it took me about six
weeks of wondering who the hell this 'my bud herb' is people were hanging out
with.  yes, I'm that square, I guess.)

what concerns me is that he totalled that car at least six or seven years ago.
he's left the hulk in my mother's garage since then.  no doors, windows, or
t-tops, and to this day if you stick your head in the passenger cabin, you can
smell whatever it is.

I don't smell 'smoke' on the plus side, but I'd almost rather try to get rid of
that smell than this one.  you  really gotta smell it to believe it.  like the
whole entire car was hosed down with it.  really.

the car would have to go if this doesn't go away.

From: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>