Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 14:10:04 -0700
My reply was meant to show how attitudes towards safety vary depend on the
individual.
In the past, there was a discussion of whether a grease pit was a safety
hazard or not.
I took the safety by the book side while others said it was not a problem.

This time I took the opposite side.  In Seattle unregulated water pressure
at sea level
can be as high as 140 psi (I've been told).  That's 20 psi higher than my
(wimpy)
compressor can produce.  Pressures are similar, no worries..

So let's get into the scary stuff.  Imagine that our compressor can
actually generate
enough pressure to cause the water hose to fail.  If the fittings fail, the
hose becomes
disconnected at one end and flops around until the pressure drops in the tank.

Or maybe the fittings hold and the hose material fails.  The rubber has to
expand to
the point of failure so it either is forced through the gaps in the steel
braid or individual
wires have to break so the rubber can expand.

No Mythbusters science proof here but I don't think that stainless braid will
become a chunk of shrapnel.  If you have something vital within the reach
of this
2 foot? hose when it fails it'll be about as dangerous as a breaker bar
slipping off a rusted
nut.

Well enough hiding away where it's safe, I'm going to mix some oxy/acetylene
together and make some sparks.  I'll opt for eye protection but being a
risk taker,
I will wear a short sleeve shirt.  Hell, I'm not ever going to wear gloves.

Hope I make it back.