Re: [Shop-talk] Shop security

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop security
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:20:37 -0700
At 06:43 PM 10/6/2007 -0400, you wrote:

> > Thanks for the warning about angry criminals but I believe that the proper
> > values for voltage and amperage
> > could discourage them without making them angry.  We could have the video
> > cameras and the alarms
> > going off while they're trashing the place.  These are sneak thieves.
>
>Scrap theives killed four people around here last winter.

Details please!

Are they armed robbers who when confronted will kill?  Or will they kill first,
then take my scrap?  I figure I was a good score, maybe 300-400 bucks.
But with more secure hangers, alarm, and the delivery of a non lethal
voltage to them, am I going to get murdered?  I assumed that it was easy
money and with added difficulty they'd move on.   The first crime wave I saw
was solved by using the lock on the door.  Then in the 80s they'd force
windows
and kick in doors.  I'd say we have about 30-40 percent of the
neighborhood alarmed but I hadn't bothered since I think the only thing
I've lost in 15 years is a battery, and now the downspouts.

The responses to my original question have been interesting.  Let me attempt
a summary.
Don't put up a defense, the thieves will harm me.
Don't put up a defense, it's against the law.
Don't put up a defense, someone could get hurt
Put up a strong defense, we would prefer our thieves to be dead

What I want is a way to deter thieves.  I would hope that nobody ever got
hurt except criminals and Darwin Award candidates.

I think the best answer from all responders was the sprinklers.  Non lethal
deterrence.
It looks like X-10 has a device that will control low voltage devices like
sprinkler valves.

I'm a big fan of dogs as well. My neighbors have had German Sheppards ever
since they
moved in, nothing gets stolen from their part of the block.

Looks like I'm going to start this project by putting up new el cheapo
($214) downspouts up.
I had to special order them so I don't have to pull down the gutters. This
seems like the most
obvious solution.  If it's not worth stealing, the thieves won't bother.

The next step will be to install some alarm and surveillance stuff.

And before any copper goes up, it's going to be firmly mounted with copper
plated steel
brackets with maybe some galvanized chain inside?

So if you're ever over at the shop and the sprinklers come on, and you
notice a flashing light,
there's pulsating sound from a buzzer that is increasing in volume, and you
feel a tingling sensation
when you touch the downspout you might want to consider if all your safety
gear is in good condition
and that the area is free from any and all safety hazards. If you're still
standing in the sprinkler now,
you might want to .....(Punch Line has been removed as the author just wet
his pants)