[Shop-talk] garage heating, electric vs. gas

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] garage heating, electric vs. gas
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:14:38 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Ok, time to get back going on my garage rebuild again...  Its an attached
two car garage.

I'd been planning on heating it with a natural gas hot air blower like the
Hot Dawg or similar, probably with a powered side vent.

I might still do that.

But our natural gas prices are insane compared to what they used to be,
and a recent thing from the gas company showed that electric costs are
about the same as gas for heating.  Since it came from the gas company, I
figure they're going to underestimate if anything...

So what's the scoop on electric heaters appropriate for around the clock
heating in a garage?  I'd like to keep the temp around 55 deg or so in the
winter I guess, perhaps a touch warmer or colder (Working in a sweatshirt
and long pants is fine.  Needing gloves is not.)  I plan to keep it that
temp all the time, but having the option to keep it at say 40 deg. and
bump it to 60 when I'm working wouldn't be bad either (if it could come up
to temp quickly enough and without causing condensation issues with
tools).

Seems like electric wouldn't require a vent, wouldn't have an exposed
spark/flame, and would be easier to install, right?  What form factors do
the heaters come in?

I've got plenty of space in the 200A house panel I think, depending on the
amperage required here.  Certainly I can put in a 50A 220vac breaker
without any issues I think.

Any recommendations or been there, done thats?

Thanks!

Mark