Re: [Shop-talk] garage heating, electric vs. gas

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage heating, electric vs. gas
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> McMaster-Carr sells a variety of "quartz electric" heaters. I have one
> of the 1896K61 units hooked to one branch of a DPST thermostat, with
> wiring in place for another one (on the other branch).

I've been glancing through through the McMaster catalog since my post and
have a question...

On page 586, they show a couple units.  One is 1702k23, listed at 10k
watts and 41.7 amps.  The other is 2022k14, listed at 15k watts & 36.1
amps.

What gives there?  They're both forced air units.  Why is the second one
apparently so much more efficient?  I'd have expected electric heaters to
all be about the same efficiency...

Btw, using McMaster's estimator on page 584, I get a required btu/hour of
~58k and a required watts of ~17k watts.  That's using the following...

Length: 24'
Width: 24'
Height: 10'

heat loss factor of .5 (the garage is well insulated, but is a garage and
as such has an overhead door).

max temp rise of 55 deg. (0 degrees outside, wanting 55 degrees inside.
This should be the worst case.  Normally it'll be a good bit less, perhaps
as good as only needing a 20 deg rise.)

That sound about right to you all in terms of the wags I'm using for heat
loss factor & such?

Mark