Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

To: Ron Schmittou <rs1121@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: Pat <Pat@HorneSystemsTx.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:10:16 -0500
In the military I taught basic electronics for several years. At the end
of the course was a 2 week long lab to teach troubleshooting.
I would put one strand of wire from a power cord across the input to the
power transformer. When the student turned on the switch it popped and
blew the fuse. The wire disappeared, hardly leaving any sign of the arc.
The students then tried to figure out what caused the pop and the fuse
to blow. Since there was no nothing wrong with the equipment at that
time, it took some time for them to work up enough nerve to replace the
fuse and try plugging it in again.

Great fun and troubleshooting with real world problems!

When they did a good job of troubleshooting I would have them put a bug
in another piece of equipment for me to troubleshoot at the end of the
two weeks. By that time there were usually somewhere around 50 problems
with it. If I needed to repair a problem to get on to troubleshooting
other parts of the equipment I would repair it and move on. It usually
took me less than 3 hours to find all the problems, about the same time
as it took some of them to find one! Experience has its rewards.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Ron Schmittou:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001