Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:58:02 -0700
> Code for kitchens currently requires two separate 20 amp circuits for
> small appliances.  It's considered good practice to make sure that
> everything won't be plugged into just one of them; that's sometimes
> done by alternating outlets.  It's a good practice to have the 'fridge
> on a circuit of it's own; most places that doesn't need to be GFCI.
> (The NEC changes substantially for kitchens in every revision, what's
> required in your house depends a lot on when it was wired.)

And the local authorities seem to stick their noses further into kitchen
wiring than just about anything else, based on my limited experience.

When we did our remodel we hadn't intended to do too much to the
kitchen, but we had some very serious rain while the roof was off that
made very nasty on the old cabinets, flooring, etc.

My wife wasn't exactly unhappy, by the time she got done with the
wishlist I think the kitchen now eats half the subpanel in the garage,
and that's not including the range hoods that are switched through the
Lutron HWI lighting controls.

"Budget?  No comprende 'budget'."

John.