[Shop-talk] was Craftsman deal... now organizational stuff.

To: "Obaa" <obaa996@yahoo.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] was Craftsman deal... now organizational stuff.
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:35:56 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Obaa" <obaa996@yahoo.com>
To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman deal....

my horde  http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/tools/toolpage.htm  this is
just what is in the shop... there is a full set in the house, the shed, >tool
rolls in each car and a set at my daughters (a neat blow molded Cresent set
that I picked up for 50 bucks)   BTW those big old honkin >angle wrenches are
for sale... I need room in that box

 Wow!  I like how neatly your tools are organized!  Mine are currently
spilling out of my toolbox as I don't have enough room to keep them all neatly
laid out like that!

You'd be surprised ... the organization doesn't take up that much more room
and when you get it all done you're not wasting time searching for a
particular size... you know where it is

the wrench racks and socket rails have really helped me track my tools better.
I know if there is a hole ?? something is missing and the search is on... with
a drawer full of loose ones I never knew.

 Are all your sockets on rails?

most are...  I have a couple sets that are just on the metal clips... small
collections that are too small to justify a rail and two is too many for one
rail.   I used the ERNST mfg. rails and wrench racks
http://www.ernstmfg.com/  .   They are a little pricy... at least more than
Sears or H.F. but comparable with the Hansen sets... but I spent a grand on
the box and have several thousand in tools... whats a few bucks for a one time
purchase of racks and rails ??  Order a catalog and browse... I'll bet you can
find your solution.  You can also call and talk to a tech about your
organization questions and they can advise on what product will best fit your
needs.  AND each clip is labeled by you with included stickies.  So those
missing sizes or the odd sizes that most folks don't have can be included.
They have rail sets with a base that holds 3 rails securely.  I did find in my
deep drawer with deep large 1/2" drive stuff that I was about 1/8" too high so
I removed the base and made one from 14 gauge sheet metal and some sheet metal
screws...

I need to buy a couple more rails for the I.R. impact sockets I just picked up
and you can see that they are laying on their side in a shallow drawer.  I
wish my cabinet had more than one wide deep drawer !

Now that I have a large collection of sockets, I'll need to organize them
better than metric vs. SAE.  I've seen a few of the socket trays, but they
don't seem to match up with the sockets I have, meaning there are empty spots
and extra sockets (that, or the sockets won't match the labels),

if you love tools and live to buy them you should check into he garage
forum.... (real tool affectionados)
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
These guys discuss tools by their part numbers.  Lots of Snap-on junkies but
there is good info there on organization, who makes what tools, evaluations of
new stuff and another section deals with every faze of building your own
mancave/garage.  Anyway, someone there mentioned using the Hansen sockets
racks and just sanding off the sizes on the top of the posts and relabeling
with a extra fine sharpie pen...  my hand is not that steady anymore !!  I'd
have a hard time writing 25/32" on the top of a plastic post that is 1/4" in
diameter.

plus there seems to be lot of empty space and that the deep sockets are too
tall to fit in the drawers.  However, I never had much luck with the rails, as
the big sockets simply don't stay on (the clips can't hold the weight), or the
clips simply come off the rail.  I'd like to see/hear how you folks organize
your tools....

these rails hold securely but are amazingly easy to remove, especially with
several rails mounted to the base... you just rest you hand on the other
rails..select your socket and pull up.

disclaimer... I have no affiliation with Ernst Mfg or it's partners, other
than being a satisfied customer and investing a small fortune in their
products.

later
John