Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:46:22 -0600
I could swear that I was told by someone knowledgeable that, at least in St.
Louis, consumers were not allowed to install their own water heaters.  This
person said you can buy them, but that you can expect a knock on your door
when you put the old one out for trash pick up.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this in other suburban areas?  I know
mine is getting pretty old and they certainly look within my ability to
install.  I have a gas unit, but I have worked with gas lines before and
haven't blown up a house yet.  I have also done my share of plumbing,
including sweating pipes.

> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:42:17 -0500
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> From: jblair1948@cox.net
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
>
> At 10:33 AM 1/26/2010, Mark Andy wrote:
>
> >I need to replace our water heater, as its leaking a bit under the
> tank. It was
> >apparently made in '91, so hey, whatever.
> >
> >Its currently mounted 'fixed' with the water pipes soldered in
> directly and a hard
> >gas line.
> >
> >I'm wondering when I replace it if I shouldn't do it with flexible
> water / gas
> >connections to make it a little easier to replace 10 to 20 years
> from now, as
> >well as to make it a little easier to install.
>
> Mark,
>
> I can't speak to the gas line, but I've installed 2 or 3 electric hot
> water heaters
> with the flexable lines. Makes the install and removal a lot easier. 2 of
the
> heaters I've done have been working for over 10 yrs with no leaks at either
> end of the flex lines.
>
> I personally like the flex lines!!!
>
> There's also a relatively new coupler called Shark bite. A quick
> disconnect coupling that you just push the copper pipe into. It
> takes a special tool (about $3)
> to insert into the coupling to remove a line. I think these go for
> about $5 each.
> For the DIYer they are fantastic. They didn't have these around when
> I replaced
> the last Hot water heater. But I did use them when I replaced the front and
> rear outside spickets. They also work very well!!!
>
> There's also a compression fitting you can use on sold pipes. I've used
them
> several years ago (before I found the shark bites) when I replaced the
manifold
> for the shower in the master bath room.
>
> John
>
> John T. Blair WA4OHZ email: jblair1948@cox.net
> Va. Beach, Va
> Phone: (757) 495-8229
>
> 48 TR1800 48 #4 Midget 65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
> 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887) 77 Spitfire 71 Saab Sonett III
> 65 Rambler Classic
>
> Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
> Bricklin: www.bricklin.org
>
> If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
> If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

> http://www.team.net/archive

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsofts powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/