Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 10:22:38 -0500
Mark wrote:

> attach a plastic hose to a NEW oil can filled with brake fluid.  Put
> the hose on the slave and pump the fluid UP to the master.  Since it
> fills from the bottom up the air escapes from the master rather than
> trying to force it out the bottom.

The problem with "back flowing" is that the inlet to the slave is often
at the bottom, with the bleed at the top.  So, since the air remains at
the top, you don't completely get the air bubble out of the slave
cylinder.  If both the bleeder and the inlet line are on the top, it
might work.

I've had clutches where the car had to be jacked up with one end higher
to angle the car and get the bleed nipple at the high end of the slave
so the air would bleed out.

I've also had to make a "tool" to bleed a removed (but connected) slave
cylinder.  The tool was a strap of metal with three holes.  The outside
two holes were used to bolt it to the flange of the slave cylinder.  The
middle one was used to put a bolt in to stick into the piston and keep
it compressed.  With the "tool" in place and the slave removed from the
car, I could tilt it such that the bleed nipple was at the high spot,
and all the air was removed.

But normally, I use my 30+ year old EZ-Bleed pressure bleeder and have
no problems at all.

Tim Mullen

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96