Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a sheared-off bolt on a brake assembly...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a sheared-off bolt on a brake assembly...
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:53:08 -0400
On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:09:40PM -0700, Randall wrote:
> > So I'll have to wait until Monday when the local Ford parts
> > dept opens...
>
> No junkyards in your area?

Several. I guess I should have listed that as an option in my original
post.  I know those in town are closed on weekends but I'm told that there's
one ~25 miles away that might be open even on Sunday.  *fingers crossed*

> BTW, NAPA has them listed too (although that won't help much).
> http://tinyurl.com/2d37hjh

Not quite.  There are two pairs of bolts involved:

(hmm...ever notice that it's almost impossible to find a diagram online
when you need one?)

Here's an image of the caliper bracket: http://tinyurl.com/37v6knk

The 12mm caliper bolts and pins in your link fit the bottom holes.  Seems
every parts store I called stocks these.  The 15mm bracket bolt that I
sheared off fits into one of the threaded holes on top.

Turns out one of the Advance stores in town has in stock (if their online
inventory system is to be believed) a complete aftermarket bracket assembly
with bolts for around $27.  If the junkyard route doesn't pan out tomorrow,
simply replacing the whole assembly has some merit since it would save me
from ~80 miles of driving my girlfriend to/from work on Monday...

JM

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive