Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:22:26 -0500
  See interspersed reply

Thusly spake eric@megageek.com, On 9/23/2010 8:12 AM:
> <snip>
>
> For the trailer that already has electronic drum brakes, is this a hard
> conversion?
There should be a square mount that the backing plate is bolted to. A
disk setup can bolt to this also.
> For the boat trailer with the surge brakes, I realize that there is more
> to it then just replacing the pads.  Is it possible to do the switch.
> Secondly, and most importantly, this boat trailer is used for saltwater.
> Are disc brakes the best option for salt water?
If your axle has the square mount on it, then it is an easy addition. If
it doesn't there are mounts that can be welded on.
I do not know about salt water, but would think it would be much the
same as drum brakes, which you already have.
> Finally, can anyone point me to some sources (online) for trailer parts?
> Thanks.

I dealt with two folks on ebay that have been good for me,
randpcarriages and droutdoorsupply. One of these folks should be able to
fix you up.

Peace,
Pat