Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes

To: eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:37:54 -0400
I have a Draw-tite Activator brake controller.  I bought it because I
needed something, and the mounting flexibility was a plus.  This
controller applies an amount of braking selected by the operator, and
the rate at which brake force is applied is also selected by the
operator.  It is adequate, but the brake application is never
perfect.  If I set it high enough to work properly at highway speed,
I get too much braking when trying to gradually slow to a traffic
light.  Anyway, the other type of controller uses actual sensed
G-force measurements to figure out the proper amount of trailer
braking.  This type usually wants to be straight and flat, to
properly sense deceleration.  But it should be better at applying the
right amount of braking in varied conditions.  I think I'm getting
ready to give one of those a try.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html