[Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

Subject: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:05:26 -0400
On 3/14/2011 8:43 AM, Tim wrote:
> I am looking for feedback on Dish Network vs Direct TV. Who has/had what and
> what are your impressions. Any one had/have both?

I think you're supposed to qualify the question by claiming the TV is in
your shop  ;)

I've had Dish for 9 years and been pretty happy with it.  Decent
customer service (people that speak English and are reasonably easy to
contact by phone) easy to use web site for making payments.  Contrary to
rumors of frequent drop-outs with satellite, I don't loose signal unless
it's raining VERY hard, or there is 1/2" of ice build up on the dish.
(Recommend you do NOT use rubber mallet to dislodge ice, as mine now has
little dents all over it, but doesn't seem to hurt performance.)

I pay just under $68/mo for the claimed 200 or 250 channel package,
local networks, one DVR receiver, and the various fees & taxes (no HD.)
  Err... actually I put it on "vacation standby" last June when divorce
expenses were putting a crimp on, and have not reactivated it yet.  So I
really only had it for 8.5 years.  Customer service has been good to
deal with re the standby.

I've not had nor used Direct, but the thing I usually hear is they're
pretty comparable, but Direct's programming has more sports oriented
stuff (which don't give a rat's tail about) and Dish has more "other"
programming.

-Wayne