[Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

Subject: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:41:07 -0400
On 3/14/2011 10:48 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> We live in the middle of a pine forest. There are 100-plus-foot tall
> trees, too deep to see through past twenty feet in, and they surround
> the house, getting to about 15 feet from the house. Satellite signal has
> not been a problem. Dish dropped for about five minutes during a

Neat.  I'm in western North Carolina on a 40 degree or so slope with
major tree cover.  The dish is actually on a 100 foot coax run across
one neighbor's yard, into the second, where it's a cleared horse pasture
and can get a clear sky view.  I've had outages maybe 5 or 6 times in
over eight years.  That includes stuff like a 2004 hurricane that dumped
3 feet of rain in 2 weeks.  I suspect anyone having reception problems
has a poorly aimed dish.  The cable run doesn't seem to effect it.  You
do need an unobstructed shot at the sky.

> contract is up. The technical service is fine, but their business model
> turns my stomach. The first 100-plus channels are PPV. Shopping channels
> are placed in the channel line-up so that there's about one ever few
> channels--so much the better to get you to buybuybuy. There are

Yeah, Dish has a lot of infomercial and shopping channels.  Very telling
that when in vacation standby, that stuff is still available.  You can
program the receiver with a custom list of channels so you can flip
through just the stuff you want.  I think it has like 10 personal lists
available.

> And then the adult PPV channels have extremely explicit movie names
 > displayed in the channel guide. I have a kid. Not cool.

Dish has the pay-per-porn too but it's way up in the channels where you
don't normally see it.  I'm a pretty liberal minded guy but I don't
think it's appropriate to have on by default.  They should ask you at
start up, or "opt in" to see it.  You can hide or disable it easily
enough, but it should work the other way around.  (anyone seen the scene
in Clerks where Randall is phoning the video order?  "...oh, and "Happy
Scrappy Hero Pup")

-Wayne