[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:18:50 -0600
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Ian McFetridge
<shop-talk2 at mcfetridge.org> wrote:
> sent from wrong account the first time:

>> This powers the garage and the house? B This seems much simpler compared
>> the two conductors my electrician suggested. B Am I missing something?

Yeah: John's way is not code, not safe, and not a good idea.  If the
main breaker isn't shut off, the generator will try and power the
whole neighboorhood.  That's likely to not work well, and can (in
theory) endanger someone working on the lines who expects your side to
be dead.  That's a bigger problem in your house: it creates a
situation where the main disconnect is disconnected, but the branches
are still hot.  Yeah, you're not  terrilby likely to be doing wiring
in a power outage, but it's still a bad idea to subvert the safety
expectations.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com