[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop
From: bk13 at earthlink.net (Brian Kemp)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 19:50:57 -0800
When I put in a sub panel, ground was from the house.  It was only a 40'
run, so that may have been the difference.  Local codes may vary, so it
is worth a call to the building permit people.

Randall is correct about ground and neutral needing to be independent
from each other at the sub panel.  They make an isolated bar that goes
in the panel for all the neutrals.  Grounds go to the normal panel ground.

The basic theory is ground always needs to stay at ground.  Run a heavy
current on the neutral and it will no longer be a true ground.  A longer
run or slightly corroded connection will make it worse.  The permit
process is actually a good thing here.

Brian