Re: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:28:23 -0500
Dave,

My dodge van uses transponder keys also...I think most cars do these
days. A standard brass key can be used to open the door and unlock the
steering wheel, but will not start the car. If it does start the car,
the fuel pump won't run and it will die right away. I have a brass key
taped to the back of my rear license plate just in case I lock my keys
in the car. I would use the same type of brass key  if I were the
outdoors type and didn't want to hike or run with the chance of loosing
the transponder key in my pocket. Just lock the transponder key inside
the car (hidden) and use the cheap key to open the door.

A locksmith or the dealer will need to program the transponder, unless
you have at least 2 functioning transponder keys. It may be possible to
program the new transponder key yourself, I know I can on my Dodge van.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Dave C