Re: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 22:56:37 -0400
I'm not ultra-knowledgeable about the keys in general, but the cars I've
had have all been slightly different in how they executed them. I've got
a Cadillac CTS-V now, and that's the first one that actually made me
nervous--there are no holes in the door to manually unlock it with a
key. If the transmitter in the fob dies...well, I assume there has to be
a failsafe and it's in the owner's manual. Hopefully.

As far as I know, most of them have a RFID chip in the key (or some
proximity chip). If the key with which you're trying to start the car
doesn't signal the car with the chip, either (depending on the make,
etc.) the wheel won't unlock, the engine won't crank, the ignition won't
energize (so the engine will spin but no spark), the or the fuel pump
won't power up.

The VW's I've had with this can't be copied anywhere but the VW service
center. Not the dealer, the dealer has to send your VIN off to someone
who will send them a key. $150 for the key/fob, $175 to program it and
it takes a few weeks. Fords were easier. Cadillac was the best--the keys
are cheap (though there are several variations so you have to be careful
about buying the right one), anyone can cut the physical key, and then
you can program it in the car with an OBD-like tool that most places
seem to have. I *think* you can even buy them yourself as easily as a
code puller (for all I know, the code puller itself does it), but the
locksmith I went to charged me $20 to cut the key and program it, so I
just paid him.

All that to say that there seems to be a lot of variation. Hope the
Subie is one of the easy ones.