Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer
From: Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 09:01:08 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> I can see where 3-track would be a problem considering what you're
>> transporting.  Seems like the responses I've been getting favor D-rings
>> over e-track for vehicle tie down.  Maybe I should learn something here :)
>>

>    Really the only reason for floor e-track is to haul a variety of
> things.  If this is only going to be a mobile TR6 garage, I see no point at
> all.  Put d-rings where you need them, and be done with it.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with D-rings.  The maddening part is
on a TR4/TR6 tying down the rear of the car is a royal pain.  I'll probably
have to add fixed tie points to the car chassis to make life easier.

> I've never owned or used a trailer with the torsion springs which is why
>> I'm interested in the difference.  I think it's something like a $300
>> adder.  Your comments about trailer width pretty much indicate I should go
>> with the 8'-6" trailer width.  Makes sense.
>>

>    I've had both axles.  The difference isn't night and day or anything,
> but torsion is preferred.  Some of the torsion advantages -- like say being
> quieter -- you may or may not care about.  On the other hand, if you only
> plan to keep a trailer a short time, maybe you don't care that leaves rust
> out and need replacing.  Generally it's +$300 for torsions, or thereabouts.

The plan is get the trailer now even though my real plans for it are for
when I retire in a few years.  Having a trailer now will provide a nice
enclosed parking space for the car while I do some major work in my shop
over the next couple of years.

>    Regarding width, about the only reasons to go skinny are storage room,
> and reduced frontal area ( ie mileage )... but if you are towing with a
> motorhome, neither of those probably matter to you.

Good point, the 8'-6" wide would be the same as my motorhome.