[Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper
From: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:17:55 -0600
The Left rear Caliper on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra has been giving me fits.
It is not releasing enough.
I am on at least my third replacement (Autozone, I know I normally try
to buy decent parts)
Have changed guide pins (autozone supplied pins are undersized and let
the caliper bang around, have real parts store pins that fit, but have
tried the undersized ones again also).

The caliper seems to move freely before mounting.

I have a replacement brake hose but the connection for the brake hose is
rusted and now the flare nut is stripped.
I will need to cut it off and replace the flare nut and add an
extension, kind of a pain as I will have to work back under the car for
a good place to splice it in.

What should I do next?
How do I diagnose this better?

Is it possible for the hose to be slightly blocked, allowing pressure to
apply the brakes but keeping them from releasing?

If the caliper wasn't sliding freely the pad wear should be uneven, last
caliper replacement ate a brand new set of pads in less than 2K miles,
very even wear on both pads, nothing like I have gotten with stuck pins.

Something else in the braking system to look into.

Except for replacing the hose I do not know what else to do or even how
to trouble shoot this one.

Thanks,

Matt

--