Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper

To: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 19:34:06 -0600
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> On Jan 5, 2016, at 23:40, Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com> wrote:
>
> Well then any more suggestions on what to look at?
> The rotor is new and seems fairly true by eye, no dial indicator to check
> hub/rotor runout.

My checklist for dragging brakes is:

1) check rotor size (an over thick rotor causes problems, and is hard
to spot w/o measuring and it's easy to check and you feel like a moron
when you waste four hours before checking.  Not that I've ever done
that twice, mind you)
2) caliper adjustment for sliding on pins, etc
3) bleed
4) hoses
5) master cylinder mechanical adjustments -- there are usually specs
for clearance between the booster push rod and the master, and
sometimes for the booster to pedal connection
5) other hydraulic components.
7) Head scratching.